So you think you understand blackjack

There are a number of things that should always be at the top of your mind when you are playing blackjack. Seasoned blackjack players already know these things by heart and, thus, react instinctively without really thinking about it. For beginner players, these are some things that should always be remembered:The house edge – Whatever you do, the house (or casino) is more likely to win because the odds are stacked in its favor so if you do lose, do not feel bad. It’s just the odds working.

Rule variations – each casino can implement variations on the rules that govern blackjack. Each variation will have an effect on your odds of winning a game. Some variations will improve your odds, while others will lower them. So be on the lookout for the good rule variations. For example, there are casinos that implement the Charlie rule. A Charlie is an automatic winner. For example, in five card Charlie, a player automatically wins if he has five cards on his hand as long as he does not bust.

Insurance – Seasoned blackjack players will always advice against taking insurance even if you have a blackjack. Blackjack card counters can actually get away with taking well thought out insurance bets when the deck has many tens but non-card counting players should always refuse an insurance.

The 6 – 5 Single Deck Blackjack – There are many casinos that prominently say they have single deck blackjack games. But what players do not know is that some casinos also stipulated a 6 to 5 payment scheme. This is not good because a 6 to 5 on a blackjack will already cost the player an additional 1.39 per cent. That is on top of the house edge of 0.05 per cent. This totals to a house edge of 1.44 per cent. This is the worst deal you can get playing blackjack.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *